What is Light Therapy?
Light Therapy is a type of treatment that uses a mix of different wavelengths of light to help stimulate healing in particular areas of the body. The mix of wavelengths allows it to stimulate your skin as well as soft tissues. This naturally increases blood circulation, relieves pain and aches, relaxes muscles, and stimulates the body’s natural healing process.
Light Therapy works by using a low-level light device that emits different wavelengths of light. The different wavelengths are absorbed by the body in different ways. For example, blue light is known to kill bacteria, while red light is known to stimulate collagen production and help with wound healing.
There are a few different colors of Light Therapy used, each impacting a different part of the area applied.
- Blue light: affects the top layer of your skin and helps destroy acne-causing bacteria.
- Red light: Travels further into your skin and helps reduce inflammation and stimulate the production of collagen, a protein responsible for younger-looking skin that diminishes with age.
- Near-infrared light: penetrates deepest into your skin / soft tissues to stimulate blood flow, relax muscles, and relieve stiffness.
What Does Red Light Therapy Treat?
Light Therapy can be used in a lot of health concerns. Most commonly it is used to help relieve pain and aches from injuries as well as relieve stiffness and muscle spasms coming from arthritis. Light Therapy can also help with:
- Wounds and cuts
- Joint pain
- Muscle aches
- Back pain
Benefits of Red Light Therapy
There are many benefits of Light Therapy, including:
- Increased blood circulation
- Reduced pain and inflammation
- Reduced muscle tension and spasms
- Stimulated healing process
- Increased collagen production
- Reduced appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Decreased appearance of scars and stretch marks
- Decreased appearance of sun damage and age spots
Does Light Therapy Hurt?
Not at all. Light Therapy is usually completely painless. We will have you wear eye protection while the treatment is taking place. Depending on the type of Light Therapy, you may feel a slight warming sensation at the application spot, but this is mild and not painful. Light Therapy is a safe and painless treatment option that has been cleared by the FDA.
It’s rare to experience side effects from LED light therapy. If side effects do occur, they may include:
- Increased inflammation
Light Therapy in Plano
If you’re ready to try a new treatment option to help with your aches, pains, and skin conditions, Light Therapy may be for you! Get in touch with our chiropractic office in Plano to book your appointment today!