What is Trigger Point Therapy?
Trigger point therapy is a type of massage therapy that focuses on the treatment of trigger points, which are areas of tightness and tension in the muscle tissue. These trigger points can cause pain and discomfort in other parts of the body and may be caused by a variety of factors, including muscle strain, repetitive use, or injury. During a trigger point therapy session, the therapist will apply pressure to the trigger points using their fingers, palms, or elbows in order to release the tension and reduce pain. The therapist may also stretch the muscle and use other techniques to improve mobility and reduce discomfort. Trigger point therapy is often used in conjunction with other massage techniques and may be effective in relieving chronic pain and improving overall muscle function.
What is a “Trigger Point”?
A trigger point is a small, tender area within a muscle that can cause pain in other parts of the body. These points are often referred to as “knots” because they can feel like small, hard lumps in the muscle tissue. Trigger points can be caused by a variety of factors, including muscle strain, repetitive use, or injury. They can also be the result of emotional stress or poor posture. When a trigger point is present, it can cause discomfort or pain in the area directly surrounding the trigger point, as well as in other areas of the body. For example, a trigger point in the upper back might cause pain in the neck or shoulders. Trigger points can be sensitive to the touch and may cause discomfort or pain when pressure is applied to them.
What does Trigger Point Therapy Treat?
Here are some common reasons why someone might consider seeking trigger point therapy:
- Chronic muscle pain: Trigger point therapy can be effective in relieving chronic muscle pain caused by trigger points.
- Poor posture: Poor posture can cause trigger points to form, and trigger point therapy can help to relieve the resulting muscle tension and discomfort.
- Repetitive use injuries: People who perform the same movements repeatedly, such as athletes or those who work in physically demanding jobs, may develop trigger points due to the strain on their muscles. Trigger point therapy can help to reduce pain and improve muscle function.
- Stress or tension: Emotional stress and tension can cause muscle tension, leading to the formation of trigger points. Trigger point therapy can help to release this tension and reduce discomfort.
- Headaches: Some research suggests that trigger point therapy may be effective in reducing the frequency and intensity of headaches, including migraines.
- Fibromyalgia: Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition that is often characterized by the presence of trigger points in the muscles. Trigger point therapy may be helpful in relieving pain and improving overall muscle function in people with fibromyalgia.
What to Expect During a Trigger Point Therapy Session
The length of a trigger point therapy session can vary depending on the specific needs and goals of the individual receiving treatment. In general, our trigger point therapy sessions at Flower Mound may last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. During this time, the therapist will work to identify and treat trigger points in the muscle tissue. This may involve applying pressure to the trigger points using their fingers, palms, or elbows, as well as stretching the muscle and using other techniques to improve mobility and reduce discomfort.
Some people may need more than one trigger point therapy session in order to achieve the desired results, while others may see improvement after just one session. It is important to discuss your specific needs and goals with your therapist in order to determine the appropriate length of treatment.
Trigger Point Therapy in Flower Mound
If you’re dealing with muscle pain, stress or tension, headaches, or a vast list of other conditions, Trigger Point Therapy may be able to help you! Book your appointment with our team here at Flower Mound. We’ll help find the underlying cause and build you a custom care plan to get you back on track. You don’t have to live in pain!
Book your appointment today and start your path to optimal health.